Pages

Sunday 27 March 2011

March’s Fresh from the Oven Challenge – Hot Cross Buns

An apology: since the chickens arrived at the end of October, I’ve been a little obsessed with building them a palace! Then in November, we discovered we were expecting a baby, so this then took control of my life for a short while! Now, half way through my pregnancy, I am beginning to return to my ‘normal’ self (!) and am taking up blogging again! To get me started, I thought a return to the Fresh from the Oven challenges might be just the thing!

This month’s challenge, hosted by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours and was a little different. It asked us bake something yeasted, using flour where you know either where it was grown or where it was milled. I’m a little spoilt for choice in Essex, but opted for pure and simple plain flour from Marriage’s.  No more than 3 miles from where I live, it seemed the perfect choice to help begin the Easter campaign: Hot Cross Buns.

SDC13405

I used a basic Delia recipe which you can find in full here, but the yeasty bit didn’t do what it was meant to, and despite them proving well, the buns were a little on the solid side! (My OH compared them with the use of a Christmas Pudding as a cannonball in Marriott Edgar’s poem, ‘Old Sam’s Christmas Pudding’!) If, however, you have your own way of making your yeast starter, I suggest you use it and adapt as necessary!

SDC13407

You need flour, sugar, currants, mixed peel, mixed spice. butter, eggs, yeast and salt.

SDC13410

Measure out your ingredients as per Delia recipe.

SDC13411

Combine into ‘buns’ and leave to prove.

SDC13412

I opted to make flour and water crosses, although I’d roll them out as thin as you can or then end up rather chewy!

SDC13423

Bake and glaze with a sugar syrup mix when done!

Have a look at what everyone baked at the Fresh from the Oven website  – can’t wait to see how we all used our local flour!

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea to make hot cross buns...you've inspired me. Hope the hens are going well and congratulations and good luck with your other news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic news of your pregnancy! And those are beautiful buns as well. :) Wow, three miles away you have a flour mill, that is seriously local!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum yum yum!!
    hot cross buns <3 reminds me of my childhood.
    congratulations on your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm the hot cross buns look delicious!

    Congratulations too on your wonderful news :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!
Merlotti x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.