Pages

Thursday 27 August 2009

Day 7 : Tandoori pork burgers with tomato & coriander raita

recipe: Janine Ratcliffe
Olive Magazine, August 2009

According to the recipe, it should take 20minutes, serve 4, and is classed as 'easy'.

Ingredients

500g lean pork mince
1 red onion, grated
2 tbsp tandoori curry paste
coriander, small bunch, chopped
150ml pot natural yoghurt
2 tomatoes, chopped
4 spring onions, sliced
mini naans and crisp lettuce leaves to serve

Method

Put the mince, onion, curry paste and half the coriander in a bowl, season and mix real well. Form into 4 burgers.

Chargrill for about 4-5 minutes each side until cooked through. Meanwhile mix the rest o the coriander with the yoghurt, tomatoes and spring onions. Serve the burgers with warm naan and the raita.



What it should look like...
Original photograph: Lis Parsons

What mine looked like...

The facts:

Once the mix was combined, this actually made 5 good-sized burgers. I didn't have the tandoori paste, but instead used dry tandoori seasoning with a splash of oil and yoghurt. The raita recipe looked great, and was again very simple. I chose to leave out the tomatoes and have them on the side as I didn't want the raita going watery, and I'm not than keen on raw tomatoes - its the texture not the flavour! Both husband and friend said they were very filling so no-one went hungry!

Taste:
Again, these were a winner. Fresh and tasty and a real change from beef burgers which I make quite regularly. They were light and spicy! I'd use more tandoori seasoning next time, but enjoyed the raita without the tomatoes, to which I also added a dash of lemon juice. The flatbreads turned out better than earlier in the week, but I did have to call them fat-breads as I didn't roll them out quite enough before grilling! All three of us thoroughly enjoyed these as a tea-time treat, liked the fun of making up your own filling combinations and decided they were delicious!

So, all in all, a successful week's cooking, thanks to Olive, which I'll review as a whole in my next blog!

2 comments:

  1. They look fab and sound great, this is one am definately trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Merlotti - this week has been a right eye opener! Brilliant to have such detailed recipe reports.
    When I was developing the recipe for these my boyfriend went 'what! tandoori burgers? why can't we just have normal burgers??' Then I made them and he really loved them ( a re-occuring theme in our house). Mince is our friend in the credit crunch and I'm on a mission to find as many different ways to make it gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!
Merlotti x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.